Each month the Social Justice Ministry will focus on an important issue to educate our congregation through our monthly newsletter, website, and monthly speaker series. Together, we are Living Grace First through all that we do.
June 2021: LGBTQIA+ We are excited to welcome two guest speakers this month!
Introducing This Month's Speakers:
June 8th 6:30PM
Rev. Pepa Paniagua (she/hers) is an ordained PC(USA) pastor, facilitator, speaker, and writer. A native to California, she is a 49ers and Giants fan, who finds herself living and working in North Texas with her wife, Kelli and their 3 dogs. Pepa is the founding pastor of kin•dom community, a new worshipping community that is direct in its outreach and transparent welcome to the LBGTQIA community and others who have felt cast out by or uncomfortable in "traditional" church. She is an advocate and ally, and does her best to gently lead others through the sometimes hard conversations about inclusion and the vast expanse of God's love. Growing up between the redwoods and the sea, Pepa believes that as much can be learned by placing your bare feet in the sand and listening, as can be from any book. She believes in the relentless love of God, the deep and abiding wisdom of women, and transforming power of a well made cup of coffee.
June 29th 6:30PM
On June 29th at 6:30 p.m., Tara Lewis will lead a second Zoom discussion for the congregation on LGBTQIA alliance and advocacy. Tara is the daughter of Bettie and Randy Riall and the Social Justice Ministry is so pleased to have this family connection in this learning opportunity for the congregation. More information will be posted about the June 29th discussion in the coming weeks.
Here are more resources:
● Gay and Lesbian Alliance of North Texas (GALA): www.galanorthtexas.org
● Covenant Network of Presbyterians: www.covnetpres.org
● MoreLight Presbyterians (specifically their resource page. It is a wealth of resources): www.mlp.org
● Good Fruit Project: https://www.goodfruitproject.com/resources
● GLAAD Resource List: www.glaad.org/resourcelist
● Christian Conversation Guide from HRC: https://www.hrc.org/resources/a-christian-conversation-guide
● Resource Center Dallas: www.rcdallas.org/
● DFW Trans Kids and Families: www.dfwtkf.com
● Trans-Cendence: www.Transcendint.org
● GENECIS at Children’s Health Dallas: www.childrens.com/genecis
● CDC LGBT Youth Resources: www.cdc.gov/lgbthealth/youth-resources.htm
● Human Rights Campaign Employee Resource List: www.hrc.org/resources/lgbt-employee-resources
● Trevor Project Suicide Prevention Resources: www.thetrevorproject.org/section/resources
● Lamda Legal: www.lambdalegal.org/
● GLSEN – Advocates for LGBT in K-12: www.glsen.org/
● National LGBT Health Education Center Resource List:
● Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays: www.pflag.org/
● National Center for Transgender Equality: www.transequality.org